Monday, April 22, 2013

"I know that it probably doesn't show, but I have crippling ADHD."

"That...does surprise me. You always seem so calm and collected."

"It's interesting, really. My other...complications tend to keep it from surfacing as it does in most people."

"It must be difficult. Especially considering the sort of thing that you study."

"It is. It's...exhausting."

"So why do you fight it? Why not find something that is easier for you? Something that doesn't demand so much of your energy."

"Because this is the path that I have chosen for myself. This is what has my attention. This is what drives me forward."

"It's just...you...you always seem so miserable. There is a discomfort in your speech. Your calculated mannerisms disguise it well, but it is still there."

"You are among the first to notice. Or at least among the first to say so."

"If this cripples you so, why keep fighting? You could be so much more comfortable, if you tried."

"Indeed. Don't think that I haven't considered it. Earning my undergraduate degree was the most difficult thing that I have ever done, and it is only going to get harder from here."

"So why struggle? Why sacrifice so much for this? You aren't answering my question."

"You're right, I apologize. Let me ask you something."

"Yes?"

"Have you ever tried to tell a crippled man that he can't walk?"

3 comments:

  1. Keep finding strength in the struggle.

    Mary Anne Radmacher:
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

    ReplyDelete