Thursday, February 7, 2013

"Let me guess your age."

I turned to the man next to me.

His teeth were yellowed, but his smile was earnest.

My attention had returned to my beer during a break in our conversation just a few moments before.

The sudden query took me by surprise.

"All right," I said.

"Go ahead."

The man looked me over, taking in as many details as he could.

"Thirty," he estimated.

"An even thirty."

I shook my head.

"That's very flattering, but no...that's pretty high."

The man looked shocked.

"High? Well...you must have wisdom greater than your years, then."

I smiled gratefully and looked reflexively down at my drink, avoiding eye contact.

The blank stare of the deep black ale in front of me looked back.

Bashfulness does not suit me.

I laughed quietly at my lack of control.

"Thank you," I said, turning back to the man.

"But that is still quite high."

No comments:

Post a Comment