Thursday, June 28, 2012

I am glad to hear that the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act was upheld today.

I am not an economist, and I will not sit here and pretend like I fully understand the long-term financial implications of every tiny element of the statute.

But I feel that any action that works to insure that all people have access to reasonably affordable health care is a step in the right direction.

I don't mind paying higher taxes if it means that more people get to stay healthy.

2 comments:

  1. Well, through Facebook I think that you know my views on this topic. The last sentence of your post echoes my own thoughts as well as those of my cousins up in Canada. They always say they are happy to be a part of a universal care system, and they don't care about the higher taxes if it means the country can be healthy as a whole. Besides, look at the cost of medical insurance and benefits - in most cases it is less than the cost of the Affordable Care Act. Like you, I believe this is a step in the right direction. We need to care for our citizens...all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I get so upset when people get mad because "the government is taking their hard-earned money and giving to some lazy, jobless [insert underprivileged minority here] who doesn't want to work for a living."

      Most of the people who complain about this sort of thing have never actually met someone from a truly underprivileged area. During my undergraduate career, I had the opportunity to work alongside quite a few people who had grown up in poverty, and their stories and mannerisms have only reaffirmed for me the idea that these are the hardest working people in our society.

      It is absurd to think that the rest of society would be upset that the system is trying to help them.

      Delete