Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I've been trying to do some cooking again lately. I've moved back in with my parents for the next few months while I look for grad schools, which makes cooking as a hobby a bit more difficult, given that I must now conform to the preexisting dining schedule of two other people. But I still try to squeeze in a creative dish or two every now and then while I'm alone during the day. I pickled some radishes for the first time the other day, and although pickling radishes isn't cooking per se (add lightly chopped radishes to a dissolved mixture of 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, cover, and refrigerate overnight), they still served as a wonderful compliment to the next day's lunch of somen noodles. I've made somen noodles before, but I think that pickling the radish this time made the dish a little bit more enjoyable. Just that little bit of added flavor had a lot of impact on the overall experience. And please do forgive the poor quality of the following photographs. I know nothing about food photography.


Cherry Belle radishes prepared to soak overnight.

The next day: drained and dried

(My matching dishes are still packed away.)

No comments:

Post a Comment