Friday, January 20, 2012

"My life experience tells me that when you don't find blacks in the sciences, when you don't find women in the sciences, I know that these forces are real, and I had to survive them in order to get where I am today. So before we start talkin' about genetic differences, you gotta come up with a system where there's equal opportunity. Then we can have that conversation."

- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

You can find the full context of the quote through the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEeBPSvcNZQ&t=1h1m13s

The entire discussion is very interesting. If you are interested at all in modern science education, then I definitely recommend that you give this one the time and watch it through from the beginning. Each speaker has a slightly different perspective, and the conversation is quite stimulating.

1 comment:

  1. Very true! I'm not an expert on modern sciences or education, but I know enough to know that our society is heavily biased against equality. Many people like to point fingers and blame genetic differences, but the real culprits are our perceptions. They carry much greater influence, and limit the opportunities of minority individuals way more than chromosomes.

    ~Shane

    ReplyDelete