Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal rather than religion-specific values...it requires that their proposals be subject to argument and amendable reason. Now, I may be opposed to abortion for religious reasons, to take one example, but if I seek to pass a law banning the practice I cannot simply point to the teachings of my church or evoke God's will. I have to explain why abortion violates some principal that is accessible to people of all faiths, including those with no faith at all."

- Barack Obama

1 comment:

  1. And people love to hate on the man. Sometimes I really don't understand the rampant hatred. No president is perfect, but I think he has a good head on his shoulders. He, unlike most members of the GOP, understands Separation of Church and State.

    ~Shane

    ReplyDelete