Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Manifesto, Revisited

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
     - Edmund Burke

This is why I often find myself in the dreaded role of the "young contrarian."

This is why I sometimes see fit to risk friendships by asking people the uncomfortable questions in the hope of addressing cognitive dissonance.

This is why I publicly discuss my opinions, knowing that my honesty will be likely to sometimes have negative consequences in my personal and professional life.

This is why I intentionally seek out ways to challenge my own intellect; to force myself to grow and evolve each and every day so that I will not stagnate in the comfort of my own perception.

This is why I refuse to agree to disagree.

Because there is an answer to every problem.

And yes, I will be the first to admit that sometimes that answer is still beyond our grasp.

Sometimes that answer is "we don't know."

And that is so profoundly wonderful.

There is nothing more pure and honest and inspiring than the admission of ignorance.

But if that is to be an answer, it is an answer that we must find together.

We can not avoid conflict and still expect to motivate progress.

We can not turn a blind eye to our differences and expect to "just get along."

We can not waste time preoccupying ourselves with the fear of offending some obsolete tradition or ancient doctrine.

Because there are answers out there.

Answers that we may never find.

But we must at least try.

We must not grow complacent.

We must call into question that which we are commanded to believe.

That which we are told is "just the way of things."

I am not satisfied to sit by in public conformity, privately commiserating with only the like-minded as the generations of the past tell me who I am and how I am expected to succeed.

We are not simply the products of the things that they give us.

We are so much more than that.

The answers that our generation will find and pass on excite me to no end.

We are a generation accustomed to rapid, perpetual change.

And like all of the innovators and scientists and artists who have come before us and risked their own happiness to change the world, we will do incredible things.

But I must first ask you this question:

Are you satisfied?

2 comments:

  1. "The only people for me are the mad ones,
    the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
    mad to be saved, desirous of everything at
    the same time, the ones who never yawn or
    say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,
    burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles
    exploding like spiders across the stars..."

    --Jack Kerouac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, I have a feeling that you and I would be friends.

    ReplyDelete