Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I went to the movies last night and saw Super 8. I was excited about the film when I first learned of it (I really like both Abrams and Spielberg), but was left unimpressed by the trailers. I thought that it was just going to be a typical "smash-and-grab" monster movie, until several of my friends started seriously recommending it. Trusting in their sage advice of "holy shit, Super 8" and "Super 8 is the best movie ever," I decided to give it a chance.

Those of you who have not seen this movie yet really should go see it. It's probably one of the best movies that I've seen in a while, and definitely the best of the summer (Although I did also really like X-Men: First Class). It's all very carefully polished, with high production values and a well thought-out plot. The acting is also really good, especially considering that the movie is centered around a group of children. I typically hesitate to go see a movie in which most of the screen time is occupied by child actors, but all of the kids in this movie did an excellent job, and I would even venture to say that their performances were better than a lot of their adult counterparts in other movies of the same type.

It's just really good. It's a bit of a thriller, so if you're really opposed to movies with the occasional jump-scare, you might want to think twice. But there is more to this movie than just startling moments. I'm generally not a big fan of jump-scare style suspense, and I still had a great time.

So go see it if you get a chance. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. Super 8 was fantastic. I saw it with my 10-year-old cousin and he loved it, which shows it appeals to all ages. The movie was basically JJ Abrams' 2-hour love letter to Steven Spielberg, but that doesn't take away from the film's brilliance. In this summer of superheroes and sequels it was refreshingly original (although yes, First Class was really good as well).

    ReplyDelete