Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Here's your answer

A student died at a football game this past weekend because he got run over during a post-game temper tantrum between he and a fan of the other team.

According to police, he and the other fan got out of their cars and began fighting, after which he was knocked onto the ground where the friend that he had been riding with accidentally ran him over as he pulled into the median.

This is disgusting.

This is fucking disgusting.

There is something wrong with society when people allow themselves to get so upset about a GOD DAMN SPORTING EVENT that people's lives are put at risk.

Or, as in this case, taken.

They were arguing because of a football game, and a man died.

Somebody's son died Saturday night because of a football game.

Two individuals have to live with guilt and regret for the rest of their lives because of a football game.

A young man will never have the chance to realize his potential because of a football game.

And the most despicable part of it to me is that fact that our school newspaper dedicated pretty much the entirety of yesterday's paper to talking about USC's "huge victory." It was not until today that they even mentioned the event, and even then they barely did anything but say what the police think happened and offer an email to anyone with more details on the event. I understand that they may be waiting for more details, but I feel like this needs to be more of a big deal.

A man died this weekend, and talking about the score of the game was more important.

People always ask me why I don't like sports.

This is why I don't like sports.

This is precisely why I don't like sports.

4 comments:

  1. tell me about it, i hear four people have taken their own lives at an ohio school because of bullies, then they show up and make fun of them at their funerals. people are disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge fan of football. I get really pumped up about a game and have even thrown things at the television over my disgust with an outcome, but I have never HURT anyone. Blaming football for that man's death is idiotic. I'm really sorry that he didn't have the self control to realize that it was just a game and not worth fighting over. Not only that, but you said he was a fan, not even a player so he obviously didn't have anything to be too angry over anyway.

    @ EHKOS Miku: I completely agree with you. What's even sadder, is that some schools don't implement a zero tolerance bullying policy until after something like that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, you're right. I understand that it's "not football's fault." It's not so much as the sports I hate as what it does to people, but I still stand by my statement.

    Sporting events practically encourage the herd mentality. I went to several football games my freshman year of college, and each one of them was an ultimate exercise of my patience. There were people all around me yelling at me to stand up and cheer.

    If you're not screaming and yelling and "gettin' rowdy" and supporting "your" team with all that you've got, you are deemed as doing it wrong.

    The same goes for rowdy rock concerts and other such events. I find it difficult to support any forum that promotes a mentality of lunacy. It's not just football.

    And it's not even the sport itself. It's the mindset that people have about it. However, that mindset would not exist without the societal worship of the games that exists in our culture today and, frankly, just saying "sports" instead of "the attitudes and mindsets associated with drunk people at sporting events" fit better and more concisely into my writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're confusing passion for "mob mentality". I'm not saying games can't get out of hand sometimes, but to trump them all up because of one is wrong. Those people probably thought you weren't having a good time and that's why they wanted you to cheer.

    I agree that alcohol can make an already intense situation worse and it makes for a better argument to say that instead of "sports".

    ReplyDelete