Monday, May 10, 2010

I'm listening to the first Ramones album on vinyl. It's so good. Listening to the Ramones invokes in me so many good memories from middle school. Although my middle school experience, like most peoples' own experience, was a terrible era of my past, there were certainly good times that I shared with my friends playing video games and listening to punk rock and pretending we were the shit when really we were the kids that got made fun of by the popular crowd and we knew it.

This music, those games, and my friends at the time really got me through some hard times. I have since learned how to deal with my hard times on my own, but I would have been absolutely lost back then without my loved ones.

Anyway, trite introspection aside, there's something absolutely entrancing to me about the Ramones. Their music is absolutely engaging in its complex simplicity, and there is something about Joey Ramone's vocals that just drip with angst and anger that is clear without being too "in your face." While I'm sure that many from the older generation will disagree with me, there is a subtlety of earnest emotion in the Ramones' music that many other groups of the same sort seem to lack. Their songs are fast and lighthearted, but there are strong undertones of misunderstanding and not fitting in.

Maybe it's the nostalgia speaking. Maybe I'm imposing my own emotions onto their music. But maybe that still has a lot of worth. Maybe art is worthless without personal interpretation and internalization.

Also, I love the sound of the Ramones' crash cymbal in many of their songs. It's just so quick and blunt and flat without any reverberation.

Listen for it in "Blitzkrieg Bop." You'll see what I mean.

In fact, just listen to "Blitzkrieg Bop."

It's good for your health.

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment