Thursday, April 8, 2010

I dreamed about floating through space last night. Again.

I was orbiting the Earth, just wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

I couldn't breath, but in the dream I didn't need to. I was just existing.

I could tell that I was orbiting at an incredible velocity, because I could look down and see my relative position changing, but I did not feel any sort of acceleration in any direction.

At least for a while.

Eventually, I started to feel my orbit decay and I began to enter the atmosphere.

Now, I have never personally experienced falling into the Earth's atmosphere, but the sensation that my mind generated was tremendous.

As I entered, I felt my orbital velocity rapidly convert into a free fall towards the Earth's surface. As this conversion occurred, I felt more and more pressure on the front of my body as the wind resistance built. Only when the pressure was so immense that I could not expand my lungs did I realize that I had begun breathing again. Just as the pressure became too much to handle, and I felt myself passing out, there was what I can only describe as an explosion as the outrageous friction of the air around me caused flames to erupt all over my body.

Suddenly the difficulty of breathing wasn't really a problem anymore.

To say that I wasn't in pain in the dream would be inaccurate. It was excruciating. I know it was just a made up sensation, but it was a suffering beyond description. At the same time, however, I seemed to be...somehow okay with. It's hard to quantify really. It was like I was feeling this horrific pain, but at the same time I wasn't. I was on fire and suffering the typical effects of being on fire, but my skin was not burning up. I was burning, but intact.

I had plenty of time to ponder this on my way to the ground. It seemed to take forever. Or, at least, longer than one would expect at such a speed.

Eventually, I reached a reasonable elevation and could make out buildings and trees and familiar things of the sort. Apparently I was falling over a city. At this point, I had stabilized myself into a face-first position and was falling with my arms spread out like a sky diver. The flames had mostly subsided. Not like it mattered.

Before I could even comprehend what was going on, I had already fallen past half of a huge skyscraper. Everything was a blur at this point, but I glanced briefly back at the building, and as I turned my head back to the street, I was colliding chest-first into the pavement.

But before I connected so intimately with the asphalt, about a millimeter above the ground, time slowed to the most hindered of crawls. I felt myself slowly coming closer and closer to the ground, closing the millimeter distance off bit by bit. I felt the skin on my chest and nose touch the asphalt and begin to liquify. Or vaporize. I wasn't sure. I felt my bones begin to splinter and crack in preparation of simply being blown apart under the massive transfer of energy. Everything else went wrong. There were hundreds of internal sensations that I can't even begin to describe, all of them ferocious and terrible in their own right.

And then, after what felt like an eternity of this agony, there was suddenly nothing.

2 comments:

  1. Holy shit! That's amazing!
    This also tells me that if you study something your dreams in that region can become more real.
    (I'm very interested in the dream field)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, interesting dream... you described it so... detailed. Though I wonder: what were you thinking about during this long fall.

    ReplyDelete