Thursday, March 4, 2010

Well, I woke up sick to my stomach this morning for the first time in a little while. It would have been manageable, had my roommate not decided last night to slow cook the largest piece of meat that I've ever seen.

I woke up at about 5, an hour earlier than I typically get out of bed on Tuesdays and Thursdays. And by "get out of bed" I mean "lie in bed awake staring at the numbers on the alarm clock until about 7:15, at which point I have to hurl myself from the covers in a whirlwind of morning preparations to make my 8 am." And by "hurl myself from the covers in a whirlwind of morning preparations" I mean "waste time standing in front of the shower staring at the running water, waste time standing in the shower staring at the wall, leisurely iron and don my clothing, meticulously brush my teeth, and then walk as fast as I can to arrive to class five minutes late."

I need to digress. A PT Cruiser just rocketed past my window blaring its engine as loud as it could, of course bearing a noisy muffler. A PT Cruiser.

Anyway, waking up to the smell of meat that has been cooking for hours is a terrible thing. Especially when you are already fighting back what feels like violent organisms trying to escape your body through whatever means necessary. I typically probably just would have resigned to allowing myself to just vomit and get it over with in an extreme situation such as this, but for some reason I decided to tough it out this morning. As I sat there in bed, trying everything I could to escape the putrid aroma emanating from the crock-pot in the kitchen and permeating throughout the apartment (to no avail, of course), I decided that it was really kind of a bullshit situation that I had been thrust into and that I really just did not want to throw up. So, giving in to the futility of running from the nasal assault, I relaxed, sprawled flat on my back, and took deep, concentrated breaths (mildly regretting each one) until I accidentally fell back asleep.

I woke up again at 7:40, giving me just enough time to throw on my clothes from yesterday, meticulously brush my teeth, and still end up being five minutes late to class.

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment