Friday, March 12, 2010

I just went out to the garage and played my drums for a bit. I haven't done that in a while. Now my ears are ringing.

At one point during my play, I smacked the crash cymbal wrong and messed up my timing, so I stopped and reached to silence it, but found myself unable to touch it. I must have, in fact, smacked the crash symbol just right, because it was vibrating so intensely that I could physically feel the propagating sound waves on my hand about an inch away from the cymbal. I tried and tried and tried to do it again, but the best I could get from there on out was only a few millimeters of vibration.

You know...these things still amaze me. Knowing what I know about mechanics, all of these phenomenon have lost their magic over the years. I understand why all of this happens and why these things make sense and I can visualize exactly what is happening. But have they ceased to take my breath away at every turn?

Not in the slightest.

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment