Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Well, I finished Air Gear last night, and I have to say, it was very good. It was very dramatic and incredibly cheesy at times, but I still loved it. I used to think that I was a fan of more serious anime, where the characters maintain human proportions at all times and nothing silly or goofy ever happens, but Air Gear has proven me wrong. I didn't really realize this until today, but something about goofier, anything goes anime tends to make the characters resound stronger in my mind. Trigun, which I consider to be my favorite series so far, has some of the most resounding characters of all time, particularly Vash, and I think that it is partly because of the mildly loose manner in which the characters are regarded during the less serious sections of the show.

But about today's realization...

I had a moment of weakness last night upon finishing Air Gear and called upon the vast expanses of the internet and downloaded the soundtrack. I typically have strong feelings against piracy, but I have fallen into the realm of hypocrisy for this once. The music in that show is absolutely incredible, and I really don't have the hundred dollars that it would take to legitimately procure the entire two part soundtrack...so...I cheated. I don't like saying that I've done it, but the imported soundtrack is just so expensive...

Anyway, I was listening to it earlier today, and it occurred to me as the music that I've become so familiar with over this 25 plus 1 episode series was coursing through my ears that I was subconsciously reminiscing on the characters of the show and wishing that I could exist in their universe. It was at this point that I realized how attached I had become to the characters in the show. None of them were particularly original, and many of them easily fell into classical archetypes, but somehow the silliness and overemphasis on extreme emotion had made them seem more human and memorable.

As I sat there, eating lunch before fluid dynamics, looking through the window beside me and taking in the overcast scenery outside of the engineering building, I heaved a sigh of boredom as I decided that I really liked Air Gear. Any universe (in any medium) that makes me hate returning to the actual world afterwards is usually good by default in my book.

So check it out. It's probably not for everybody, but it's engaging, doesn't take itself too seriously, and is just a great time overall.

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment