Friday, November 20, 2009

I just got back from Astroboy.

It was great. I loved every minute of it. The animation was top-notch, the story was endearing and fun, and the humor was genuinely funny (even most of the slapstick). Well, it matched my sense of humor well, at least. I can see how some people may not find it funny, but I think that that is because those people are crazy.

I'd like to talk for a second about the animation. I think that the animation in Astroboy was very well done. When people say that about animation, they assume that it means that everything was super realistic and high resolution and all of that jazz. This is not the case with Astroboy. Now, don't get me wrong, the animation is very competent in that regard, but at the same time it has certain qualities to it that make it stand out as an interpretation of a franchise that has its origins in anime. At first, I could not pick out these intrinsic qualities. All that I knew was that it was somehow different from other animated movies that I've seen. After the movie, a friend who was with me put his finger on it when he said that all of the characters were made up of simple shapes, particularly Astro. And it's true. Everything in the movie is made up of fairly primitive polygons. Things are rounded to look nice and all that, of course, but the use of simple shapes really emphasized the anime nature of the Astroboy universe. Also, many of the textures in the film were fairly plain, and did not distract the eye from the important parts of the screen. The movie looked incredible, but in a subtle and masterful "different sort of way."

That's my two cents, at least. Maybe you'll feel differently.

Anyway, if Astroboy is still playing in a theater near you, and you like animated films/cartoon history/anime/generally geeky things then I highly recommend that you go see Astroboy. If nothing else, you will at least be entertained. I promise.

Be careful on the way to said theater, though. I almost got sandwiched between an 18 wheeler and an SUV on the interstate going almost 70 miles an hour. The 18 wheeler was changing lanes and must not have realized that I was right next to the trailer, despite my relentless honking. The woman to my left in the SUV noticed what was happening, however, and slowed down, giving me time to drop that bitch into third gear and  get the hell out of there. It was a really close one, but I escaped unscathed.

TTFN.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Astro Boy too!!!! I think your comments about it were very well-thought-out, especially about the way the movie looks. It's gorgeous, it's just as cool-looking as a Pixar movie, but in a very different way. And the movie makes you laugh, makes you cry, and has giant robots - what more could you want? LOL! Anyway, agree with you - Astro Boy rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the movie, but from what I have seen it does look like they spent a lot of time thinking about how they were going to animate it in a 3D style but keep it faithful to the anime. Looks like they did a pretty good job.

    ReplyDelete